What pisses us off the most? Driving.

I live in Denver. I drive in Denver. I have never seen more pissed off drivers than I do here.

But I'll bet that in your mind you're debating that with me right now, arguing of course that your town is worse.

Driving is a little bit like being on the internet. It's anonymous, you feel like you have to respond to the slightest slight, and you can feel free to be as crude or as hair triggers you like. Nobody knows you. You can just let it fly.

Can I make a suggestion? Use driving as an opportunity to practice being a stoic. Being a stoic means realizing that the only thing you can control is yourself. It is realizing and screaming at somebody else, or swerving to cut them off, or angry glances in crude gestures don't impact anything. In fact it might get you killed. At least around here.

As has been said, don't let them turn you into them.

Let it go. Count to 10. Take three deep breaths. Keep yourself under control, because you can't control what's out there. You never have been able to. You never will. And that's okay. Focus on the prize: getting home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your problem is not your bad history

That town back there....